The Blue Ribbon Cake Story

I don't really know why this cake is called the Blue Ribbon Cake, but this is what helped me relax and unwind from the busy week.The week had all the right ingredients to make it a perfect eventful week which included a cup full of work at office mixed with a cup full of work at home with one tablespoon of extra work as we invited a new pet in the house and finally garnished with the festivities of welcoming Lord Ganesha.

As I stood sipping my Cuppa of Chai in the morning under the clear blue sky, I decided to grab a few hours of Only Me time. I decided to bake a nice coffee cake for myself, that would accompany my Cuppa of Coffee for at least a day or two. It is is exactly what you want in a coffee cake. Moist, sweet, crunchy, and cinnamon-y. Perfect to have with a steaming cup of a coffee. A superb way to start a day! 

I came across this recipe of The Blue Ribbon Coffee Cake on a food blog called " Baked Bree". I however tweaked it a tiny bit.


The Crunchy, Cinnamon-y, Nutty cake was made like this
Ingredients

Cake 
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter,room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 container sour cream

Streusel
1 cup chopped almonds
2/3rd cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla essence
1 teaspoon coffee(optional)


  • In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
  • In a large bowl, add eggs, sugar, butter, and vanilla. Beat until it begins to come together. It is okay if it looks curdled, it comes together. Add the dry ingredients. Mix until just moist. Add sour cream. Mix until smooth. 
  • In a bowl, mix together chopped almonds, both sugars, cinnamon,coffee(optional) and vanilla.
  • Grease the baking pan. Spoon half of the batter into the bottom of the pan, spread around. Sprinkle with streusel. Add another layer of batter and another layer of streusel.
  • Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes. Cool completely.

VoilĂ !



I wonder what this coming week has in store for me but as off now time to hit the sack and end this week and look forward to the morning cup of coffee along with this nutty crunchy cinnamon-y cake.

Comments